Friday, June 13, 2008

Chicken curry

So we had another official "we're home" moment last night, when I cooked some chicken curry.  Jaya showcased her newest helpful skill, peeling garlic.  She just loves to be helpful.

I promised recipes once we started the blog, so here is one.  Although I can't really take credit for it, most of it is from my mom.

2-3 lbs chicken, cleaned and cut in pieces (more if it is bone-in, less if boneless.)
1-2 onions, sliced
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
1" piece ginger, grated (or minced)
1-3 hot peppers, minced (take seeds/ribs out if you want it less hot)
1 tbsp oil (I use canola)
3-4 diced tomatoes or one can diced tomatoes or one can tomato sauce
spices:
~2 tsp ground coriander
~2 tsp ground cumin
~1/2 tsp ground turmeric
~1/4 - 3/4 tsp ground chili powder
3-4 star anise(optional) 
3-4 cardamom pods, crushed  lightly with the side of a knife (optional)
1-2 lbs potatoes, diced (I like Yukon Golds, washed but not peeled)
handful chopped cilantro (optional)

Heat oil in pot over medium to medium high heat.  Fry onions, garlic, ginger and peppers until they begin to brown.  Add the mustard seeds now, if using (if they don't pop and sizzle, your oil isn't hot enough).  Add spices, and about 1/2 tsp salt, and stir constantly.  Let spices toast, until they smell really fragrant, about a minute or so.  Add the chicken pieces, and stir until they are coated with the spices/aromatics.  Add the tomato, and turn the heat up.  Add the potato, and when the mixture starts to really simmer, put the lid on and turn the heat down to low.  (You can add water at this point if it looks like there needs to be more liquid to cook the potatoes.  You can also use coconut milk for this).  Stir occasionally, and cook until chicken is done and potatoes are tender. If you want to thicken the gravy, take the lid off and increase the heat the last few minutes of cooking.  Salt to taste, add cilantro if using. Serve with rice and plain yogurt.
Some notes:
- Any chicken will work, but in my opinion, curry is best with bone-in dark meat.  If you use white meat only, watch to be sure you don't overcook it.  If you use a whole chicken, I add the breast 10 minutes after the rest starts cooking.
- Don't be afraid to make it a little spicy!  If you think it is too spicy from the pot, try it with the rice and yogurt.  If it is still too spicy, add milk or cream to the pot.
- You probably don't want to bite into the star anise or cardamom pods.  All the optional stuff is optional, and it will still taste good without, but it's worth trying to find.  Indians are everywhere, you probably have an Indian market near you.  Or if not, a spice shop or bulk food store.  If not, just omit them.
Enjoy!  If anyone tries this, I would love to hear about it.  







6 comments:

Bbells said...

oh my goodness! so good to hear from you and your family. your babies are beautiful. I feel really excited to hear from you. What are you doing in the Phillipenes? I am glad you started a blog, my favorite ones to read are always from people living out of the country. That would be so cool if you moved to the Northwest, I have lately been thinking we need to move out of the country though because its so freaking expensive. email me when you have a second i have so much i want to ask you and catch up with you. brittneybellessa@gmail.com

great to hear from you,

Brittney

Bbells said...

also, i will never forget that amazing meal you made one year for Mareis birthday and also a peanut noodle sauce, can you post that one?

maggie said...

I'm so glad you found my blog! Your kids are beautiful, I can't believe how big Jaya is! What the heck are you doing in the Phillipenes? It looks so pretty, I love the view from your window. This chicken curry looks sooooo yummy! I think I'll have to make it soon. How old is your little guy? He is so cute!

Andrea Fowler said...

Hooray for Leatha recipes! Post more! Post more! Post more!!!! Whenever I think of curry I remember when you and Marei went to Easter at my parents' house and we made it for dinner. YUMMY!

the quirky one said...

Yeah, I am so excited to try this recipe out! Especially since I have all the ingredients, thanks to you! My kids are already asking for it for lunch, so we will see when I can make it! I am so glad you guys are doing well and are happy! The kids love seeing your pictures!

Nanny said...

I would like to try it and love it when you make it for us, but....it just sounds like to much work...lol
I told dad and he said you better get busy...nah I want your applecake though. Love to all and cuddles for our babies