Saturday, November 15, 2008

Banana lovin'

In this family, we all love bananas. And in the Philippines, we can choose from tons of varieties of bananas.  We can also choose from lots of different snacks, all served on a stick.
Enter the banana-cue....saba banana (interestingly enough, this variety is also used to make ketchup) that is fried, caramelized in brown sugar, and impaled on a stick:
  
The pictures of Marei and I drooling open-mouthed just aren't as cute.
Lucky for us we have friends who own a banana-cue cart.  They also sell kamote-cue, which are sweet potatoes given the same treatment (sooooo good), and turon, which are banana and jackfruit wrapped inside an egg roll wrapper and fried (also delicious).

4 comments:

Lacey said...

Ooh yummy! Those look delicious! I remember someone telling me that the Philippines has like 10+ types of bananas?

Anonymous said...

O wee, I love bananas. Raji is looking so grown up already, I wish he could stay little till we see him again. Your babies are some of the healthiest baby eaters I know. Give them some love from auntie wanasioux will ya.

stacie said...

Yummy. I wish Ed could bring home some fried banana goodness too, but they probably wouldn't keep:)

Andrea Fowler said...

You're probably going to hate leaving the Philippines, aren't you? :)