We've been busy trying to squeeze in what we can while we are still here. In honor of our time here, we'll be blogging about lots of different things related to life here (and there). Here is the first:
Why going to the movies in Cebu is awesome (and why we go here MUCH more often than we ever did back there):
- Tickets are $3 or less.
- You choose your seats when you buy your tickets - before you ever enter the theater. You look at a screen that indicates which seats are open (we always pick upper balcony front row - great view and extra leg room).
- The screen is huge and the seats comfortable.
- You can bring in your own food - whatever you want! You don't have to buy from ridiculously overpriced movie concession stands. Can you imagine?
- The restroom is IN the theater itself - so you miss very little if you have to go during the movie.
- When we took Jaya to a movie, an usher came over with a booster chair just for her.
On a related note, I am completely disillusioned by the MPAA. Gratuitous elements of violence, sexuality, and profanity bug me. On the other hand, mature thematic elements (which may include some violence, sexuality and profanity) that contribute to the telling of a meaningful story may not. If anyone else is interested, here are some sites that give more detail about violence, sex/nudity, thematic elements, etc. in movies, so that you can make judgments for yourself about what media you will allow in your home/life, whether it is meant for adults or for the whole family.
www.kids-in-mind.com
www.commonsensemedia.org
I don't necessarily agree with all of their assessments, but I do love having a place where I can see what is depicted and make a judgment call about whether it is worth watching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I wish it were the same here. I love going to the movies!
I will check out MPAA. Lately I have been watching whatever I want and have been seeing a lot of a lot. There are so many films with loud voices and great messages, but they add in the 'extra' stuff and it stops people from seeing the film :(
The movies over there are amazing. Seth and I went to the movies last week and paid $18. I could see 6 movies in the Philippines with that!! SIX!!
And it is so frustrating to go see movies with all of that junk in it. I hate that stuff myself, and it annoys me to death that they can even put all of that in PG13 movies!! Its so hard to know what you're actually going to see if you go see a movie! There are actually quite a few rated R movies that I like, but those movies came out a while ago when the standards for rated R were more strict. But if you go see a rated R movie today....UGH its FULL of all of that nasty extra stuff!! Maybe I'll just stick to animated kid movies. :)
Hey, what day exactly are you guys arriving? Will you come straight here? We want to help in any way we can--so, let us know. And, we are blessing Kaylie on the 26th if all goes as planned and it would be fun to see you there. But...I think you may arrive just a few days beyond that :)
No way! We need movie theaters like that in the US. Although I really am a sucker for that overpriced buttery popcorn. We go to the movies so much and each time it cost us close to $40-$50. Well Im am so excited for you guys to come home, you dont even know. Tell lil ms jaybugs and baby raj that auntie rana sioux misses them.
Leatha! How are you and your family?! I can't believe you guys are packing up and leaving the Philippines so soon. It will be so weird coming back to the states! Are you going to miss the Philippines? I even miss it, and was only there for such a short time. So where are you going to be staying? I can't believe how much your kids have grown since we last saw them, especially Raja! Anyway, hope you are doing well! Happy Easter!
Wow, we'd go to the movies way more too if that were the pricing and rules. Way nice!
Thanks for the reference sites!
Post a Comment