Saturday, December 27, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jaya!

My beloved Jaya,

Today was your third birthday. Your Daddy and I let you do a lot of special things because it was your birthday.
You chose to eat ice-cream for breakfast, and rice and curry for lunch and dinner. I think you could be content eating only rice, curry and mango shakes. You love singing so much, we sang you Happy Birthday three times today, and Nanny and Poppa sang to you on the computer from across the ocean. And you love dancing, so we had a dance party after the ice cream breakfast. And another one in the afternoon. We read your new books, The Shape of Me and A Pocket for Corduroy about a dozen times. We read Olivia a lot too. Your favorite gift was a wooden tool kit with wood screws, nuts, and a wooden screwdriver - Raja liked that one too. Daddy made a robot out of your new toy, and you danced with the robot and made us laugh. We played with Play-Doh and just generally had a blast. It was a wonderful day for a wonderful girl.

Jaya, we are so honored to be your parents. You are growing into such an amazing little person. You are kind, loving, full of empathy, affectionate, precocious, hilarious, smart, chatty, articulate, agreeable, inquisitive, fiercely imaginative, bossy, generous, witty, analytical, polite, opinionated, thoughtful, passionate, beautiful, and charming. You are so pleasant to be around. You turned your Daddy and I into parents, and you teach us things every day about that very important job. We adore you. We're not the only ones. Lots and lots of people love you Jaya, because you are just that lovable. You make friends everywhere you go. I want you to know that my life has been immeasurably improved because you were given to me to raise for a while. The world is better because you are in it. I hope as you grow, you keep doing what you're doing now, exerting your influence for good on the universe. No matter what anyone tells you, it does make a difference. What you do does change the world. It changed ours.
Love,
Mama

6 comments:

Madhu said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAYA !!! UMA!!!

stacie said...

Happy B-day Jaya.
Leatha, I didn't realize how close Raja and Jaya's birthdays are to each other. Fun December for your family. Your letter was beautifully written. You make parenting seem so easy, fun, and dreamy. Thanks for sharing those parts of parenting with me :)

Emmy said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Auntie Melis loves her sweet niece JAY BUG!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I miss you and your hugs so much! Thanks for being such a wonderful blessing to your parents and to all who know you. I love you so much and miss you like crazy!

the quirky one said...

I loved all the pictures! Her little face hasn't changed a whole lot since she was a baby - you can see her little personality in all those great pictures. What a nice letter to her!

Anonymous said...

Oh leatha she is beauty!! My son came to see cause he heard the music and he said "oh mama, who's the pretty girl? shes so pretty!" i couldnt quit laughing! I love what you guys are doing here. its great!! sending some love your way...Lavida & family.